Saturday 27 September 2014

Marathon jaunt for Gemma

Lawyer Gemma Lockyer will take on her second marathon challenge tomorrow and every mile will bring smiles to our Happy House family.
Gemma, from Milton Keynes, is running the Berlin Marathon and is hoping her friends will support her by sponsoring her effort with every penny raised coming to the Happy House,
Gemma said: "I'll put my name in for the ballot but I'll never get in". That's  what I said before I found myself with a place in the London Marathon in 2013 and it is what I said again before I found myself with a place in the Berlin Marathon this year.
"Tomorrow take on my second marathon challenge and do my bit to raise as much money as I can for a very special charity.
London marathon finisher 2013
"Kenya continues to suffer political, economic and many other challenges. Many international visitors have travelled through Kenya and hand delivered their donations but due to the current troubles the number of travellers has reduced. The charity now needs to pay postage and import duties for the basics many take for granted .
" My family has been helping the UK nationals who run the home for many years and I was fortunate to meet some of the people involved and was amazed by their enthusiasm and their genuine commitment to give these children the best possible opportunities. If you are able to make even a small donation I am very grateful. 
"I feel honoured to be running for Happy House."
Last month Gemma's dad, Paul, completed the the Haute Route Dolomites,a seven day 900km timed road bike race from Venice to Geneva, over 17 mountain passes and 19,000m  to raise money for the Happy House.
They, and other members of their family, including Fiona Lockyer and her twins, Hebe and Imogen, who introduced them to our Happy House are just a wonderful support.
 Thank you to all of them and good luck Gemma, we will be cheering you on every inch of the way.If you would like to support Gemma's effort please go to her JustGiving page: https://www.justgiving.com/GemmaRunsBerlin/