Thursday 25 February 2016

Following in Mama's footsteps

Our UK voluntary coordinator Elizabeth Gomm, Auntie Libz to our Happy House family,  has been selected as a finalist in the Network She Foundation International Women’s Day Awards  whichrecognise the achievements of both women and men in fields of business and beyond.
“I feel very surprised and honoured to be nominated for an award and to follow in the footsteps of Mama Sue who won a  Network She Award a few years ago.
“If I were to win, we would complete a Happy House double act. Sue and I often joke that we make a  good double act!"
Libz had been working as a journalist at the Blackpool Gazette for 26 years when in 2010 she left her job to look after things for the charity in the UK as a volunteer. She is also a trustee of the charity..
 "I had met Sue in 2007 when I went to interview her about her Happy House dream. She had no land, nor plans, and very little money but today her Happy House is just as she described that day – and better.
“Something about this inspirational woman, her work, and the children she was dedicating her life to, struck a chord deep within me.
"Helping Happy House brings so many rewards. Of these, my friendship with Sue and Dave, the kindness of others, my bond with the Happy House family, and the certain knowledge that I am, in my own small way, helping to secure their future, are the greatest.
“I am sorry I can’t attend the  Network She Foundation Awards,on March 4 but I have a long-arranged commitment to speak about Happy House at a Women’s World Day of Prayer service in that evening.”